Terms of service
V1. December 2020
1. What is Tyl Rewards?
Tyl Rewards is a platform that lets retailers offer their customers rewards without the retailer having to give them a rewards card. It also automatically enables you to collect points when you pay using a card you have registered on the Tyl Rewards Platform at a participating retailer. The participating retailers who use the Tyl Rewards Platform are listed on the App.
2. What's this Document?
It sets out the terms and conditions applicable to your use of the Tyl Rewards Platform via either the App or the website. These terms are between you (the person who has set up a profile on the Tyl Rewards Platform) and us, National Westminster Bank plc trading as Tyl by NatWest (we/us/our). You agree to them by downloading the App and registering a Tyl Rewards profile. A copy of the current terms applicable to the service will be accessible from the App.
3. Getting Started
You need to download the Tyl Rewards App (from the iOS or Android App Stores) onto your compatible mobile device and set up a Tyl Rewards profile. You will need to set up security information to allow you to open the App. This protects your personal information stored in the App. Make sure you complete the information accurately and keep your information up to date. If you need to correct any information during or after you have set up your profile, follow the steps for how to do that in the App.
When you set up your profile, you have to register a payment card (like your debit card). We will then contact your card issuer to confirm your card details. You can register more than one card and we call these registered cards. Not all cards are eligible to be registered. Ineligible cards will be rejected when you try to register them. A card can only be registered against one customer profile.
Once your profile is set up, we'll tell you that you are ready to collect points.
4. Earning Points
When you use a registered card to pay for your purchase at a participating retailer, you will automatically earn reward points with that retailer. You will have a separate points balance with each participating retailer, depending upon how much you spend with each retailer. This means that you cannot use points you have earned with one participating retailer for rewards from other retailers. How many points you have built up with each participating retailer will show in the App. Points have no monetary value and cannot be exchanged for cash.
To protect your card details, we use a secure, coded, version of the long number from your payment card (known as a token) to match points you have earned with your registered card.
If your registered card details are stored in an e-wallet and you have used the e-wallet version of the card to pay for your purchase, you will not earn points, This means that you will not earn points if you pay with mobile payments (such as Apple Pay or Google Pay) or with something like PayPal.
You only earn points if you use your registered card to make a purchase. If you pay by other means, such as cash, cheque or bank transfer, you will not earn points.
When you register a card with your profile, you will find that you have already built up some points with retailers for any purchases you made with those retailers in the last 12 months before you had registered that card in the App. We will tell you if we change this 12 month period for historic points.
We may agree with a participating retailer that unused points will be deleted within a certain period of time after they are added to your profile. If we do this, then we will tell you about it.
If you receive a refund for a card payment which earned you rewards points, or if you dispute a card payment with your card issuing bank, the points you earned may be deducted from your points balance, even if you have already redeemed those points. This may result in you having a negative points balance with a participating retailer. You do not owe any money to a participating retailer for a negative points balance, however.
Points might not be added to your profile immediately after you make the payment, for example where the retailer has a returns period for something you have bought.
5. Claiming Offers and Redeeming Points
A participating retailer can publish offers allowing its customers to redeem a certain amount of points in exchange for a reward it will give you. You need to have enough points with that retailer to claim those offers. The Tyl Rewards Platform publishes the retailer offers on the App and allows you to exchange the required points for a voucher. When you choose to do this, we will deduct these points from your points balance with that retailer and the voucher will be displayed in the App.
You will need to show this voucher on your device to the retailer in person in its stores. You cannot print it or present a copy of it in the store.
Once you have redeemed your points for a voucher, the voucher will expire after a short amount of time (normally around 15 minutes, but details will be on the App). The amount of time you have left to use the voucher will be shown on the voucher in the App. If you do not use the voucher in time the points you redeemed will not be re-credited to your account and will be lost. Make sure you have enough time to take the voucher to the retailer's store before you claim it.
You must not present any voucher to a participating retailer more than once.
Participating retailers can also withdraw any or all of their rewards at any time, or edit any reward at any time.
6. Do you pay Fees?
We do not charge you to register for or to claim rewards on the Tyl Rewards Platform.
We will notify you in advance if we wish to introduce any fees for any aspect of Tyl Rewards.
7. The Dos and Don’ts of using the Tyl Rewards Platform
What you must do:
- Only register to use the Tyl Rewards Platform if you are over the age of 16
- Set up and maintain your profile with accurate information about yourself
- Only register your own payment cards
- Ensure the security of your profile and your security credentials and don't share them with others;
- Take reasonable steps to ensure you are using devices and equipment to access the Tyl Rewards Platform that are free from viruses
- Tell us as soon as you can if the security of your profile has been compromised or any unauthorised person has accessed your profile
- Comply with these terms, our user guides, and any other instructions we give you in relation to your use of the Tyl Rewards Platform.
What you must NOT do:
- Don't use the Tyl Rewards Platform for illegal or fraudulent purposes
- Don't attempt to use vouchers or points more than once
- Don't sell points or vouchers or try to transfer them or allow someone else to claim them
- Don't claim any age-restricted reward if you are under the required age
- Don't copy, reproduce, upload, post, modify, transmit, or mirror on another website or in any other media, nor distribute or create derivative works of Tyl Rewards or our materials.
8. Suspending or terminating your access to Tyl Rewards
You may leave Tyl Rewards at any time by email to us. Details of our email address for this purpose are provided on the App.. If you delete your profile, then all of the points associated with your profile up to and including the date you leave Tyl Rewards will be deleted and forgotten. These historic points will not be available to you if you re-register your card(s) to a Tyl Rewards profile in the future.
We may cancel your use of the Tyl Rewards Platform at any time and for any reason. We will normally try to give you advance notice, but we are not required to do so.
We will cancel or suspend your access to the Tyl Rewards Platform immediately and without notice where:
- you have committed a serious breach of these terms, or have repeatedly breached them
- we reasonably believe that the security of the App or the Tyl Rewards Platform has been compromised (including suspected unauthorised use)
- we reasonably consider that by continuing to provide services we may break any law, regulation, code or other duty that applies to us or which we have agreed to follow
- you have been threatening or abusive towards our staff
- your profile has been inactive for a period that we consider to be excessive
The Tyl Rewards Platform uses services and technology provided by third parties. We will try to ensure that it is available for you to use at all times, although we cannot promise that it will be. We may have to suspend the Tyl Rewards Platform or the App if we need to implement system changes, make upgrades or deal with technical or security problems.
If we suspend your use of the Tyl Rewards Platform, you may stop collecting points and will not be able to access any retailer offers.
If we cancel your access, your profile will be deleted and your points and offers will be deleted.
9. Our Role and the Retailer's Role
We provide the technical infrastructure that enables participating retailers to offer you rewards. The rewards programmes and offers that you get are provided by the retailer and not us.
This means that the retailer:
- agrees with us how many points you should earn for every pound you spend with them, and we will tell you what that is in the App
- decides whether and when to publish any offers and how many points you need to redeem against an offer
- creates the terms of the vouchers that you see
- decides whether to withdraw offers and on what terms
- is responsible for providing you with what they have offered you if you are eligible to claim it.
- provide you with a licence to use the App to enable you to keep an accurate track of your points and rewards at each participating retailer
- provide the infrastructure that enables spend on a registered card with a retailer to automatically generate points linked to that retailer
- enable retailer offers to be published and taken up by you
- generate vouchers that you can present to a retailer in their store.
We will be responsible for protecting the security of any payment card data you provide to us via the Tyl Rewards Platform in accordance with applicable laws and any applicable card scheme rules.
11. Intellectual Property Rights
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in Tyl Rewards and our Tyl Rewards materials and their contents. Such rights are protected by laws and treaties around the world and we reserve all of these rights.
Other trademarks, service marks or logos that appear on the Tyl Rewards Platform, including those of participating retailers, are the property of their respective owners and are likely to be registered trademarks and subject to restrictions as to their use. They must not be used without our express permission and, where applicable, the trademark owner's express permission.
12. What if things go wrong?
We endeavour to provide you with access to and the use of the Tyl Rewards Platform at all reasonable times. We also agree to carry out our services with reasonable care and skill, which includes that we will seek to ensure the points balances shown in your account are an accurate record of the points earned and are as agreed between us and participating retailers.
But we do not promise to provide you with continuous or uninterrupted access to the Tyl Rewards Platform. We do not, therefore, accept any liability to you if the Tyl Rewards Platform is not available to you.
There may also be technical defects that are caused by third parties involved in the card payment processes or in delivering services to us. There may also be circumstances that are beyond our reasonable control which cause defects in the Tyl Rewards Platform. We are not responsible for any defects in the Tyl Rewards Platform in these circumstances.
We are also not responsible to you for any losses which would not have been reasonably foreseeable by us at the relevant time.
We do not vet participating retailers and we are not responsible to you at all for any aspects of Tyl Rewards that the retailer is responsible for providing to you. We do not intervene in any disputes you have with retailers.
This means that, if you have any of the following types of concerns or issues, you need to contact the retailer and resolve these issues with them:
- a retailer's decision to honour or not to honour any offers or vouchers
- a dispute over the amount of points you have earned, including the accuracy of the records of spend we have received
- the terms of an offer, including its availability and the number of points the retailer requires you to use to get it
- the retailer taking down or amending any published offer or reward
- the expiry of a voucher for a reward before you have been able to present this to the relevant retailer
- any defects in any products or services offered as part of any offer or reward
- the accuracy of any description of any reward
- the amount or nature of offers being made available to you
- the compliance of any offers or rewards with any laws or regulations
- any retailer's promotion of the rewards programme or representations of what you would be entitled to
- all products or services purchased from or provided by the retailer.
The App may contain links to websites or content of retailers or other third parties. Any of that third party content will not have been verified or reviewed by us. We do not endorse participating retailers. You must make your own decisions about dealing with them and accessing any of their content. You cannot claim from us if anything goes wrong as a result of you dealing with them or accessing the information.
From time to time, our relationship with participating retailers may suspend or end. This may mean that you are no longer able to access your points with that retailer or any rewards they had offered. If that happens, as the reward programme is offered by the retailer, you will need to take up any dispute with them about any losses you may suffer as a result.
13. Your participation in Tyl Rewards
Tyl Rewards is a new platform and you are using an early version of the service. This means:
- its availability may be more limited than would be expected for a long-standing product
- it may be subject to periods of interruptions, delays or errors
- it may be subject to more maintenance and upgrade
- functionality and content of the App is subject to change without notice
- we may withdraw the Tyl Rewards Platform at any time if we consider this is necessary
14. Customer Service and Complaints
We want to hear from you if you feel unhappy about the service you have received from us. Letting us know your concerns gives us the opportunity to put matters right for you and to improve service to all our customers. You can complain by:
- visiting your nearest NatWest, or Royal Bank of Scotland or Ulster Bank branch
- calling 0800 151 0404 (Minicom 0800 404 6161)
- visiting natwest.com and use our online form, or
- writing to us free post at Customer Relations Manager, Bede House, 11 Western Boulevard, Leicester LE2 7EJ
Equally, if you have any queries or need any support in relation to the services that we provide you, and you cannot find the answer in the user guides or on the Tyl Rewards Platform, please also get in touch with us by following the process set out on the "Support" section of the App. .
If your query or complaint relates to anything that a participating retailer is responsible for, including any offer or reward, please contact the participating retailer and follow the participating retailer's usual complaints or queries process.
15. Changes to these Terms
We may change any part of these terms from time to time. Where we do so, if you have a profile, we will let you know of any such changes in advance where we are able to do so.
We may also change the terms to charge you fees for the services, If we were to do so, we would give you 30 days written notice and you will be able to end this agreement within that period without incurring any charges.
16. Contacting each other
We will contact you and give you any notices we are required to by sending it to your email address or providing it via a notification via the App.
You should contact us and give us any notices by sending them by post to Tyl by NatWest, PO Box 299, Hellaby, Rotherham, S98 1SS or to such other postal address or email address that we may, from time to time, provide on the App for the purposes of giving us notices.
If you live in Scotland, Scots law applies to this agreement. If you live in Northern Ireland, Northern Irish law applies. If you live anywhere else, then English law applies. If there’s a dispute between us, you can take legal action against us in any UK court.
No other person will have any rights to enforce the conditions of these terms under or by virtue of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, except for any other member of the NatWest group of companies.
We may transfer our rights and/or obligations under the Terms or arrange for any other person to carry out our rights and/or obligations
You may not transfer any of your rights and/or obligations under the Terms.
We can delay enforcing our rights under the Terms without losing them
If any condition or part of these terms is or becomes illegal or cannot be enforced, then it will be treated as being deleted from these terms and it will not affect the enforceability of the other conditions or parts of these terms.
These Terms, the services we provide in the App, and any communications we send to you, will be in English.
18. Information about us
National Westminster Bank Plc. trading as Tyl by NatWest a company registered in England and Wales (Registered Number 929027), having its registered office at 250 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 4AA.
National Westminster Bank Plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. National Westminster Bank Plc is entered on the Financial Services Register and its Register number is 121878. The Financial Services Register can be accessed at www.fca.org.uk/register. These services do not fall within the scope of services that are regulated by these regulators. Our registered VAT number is GB 243852752. ‘Tyl by NatWest’ is a trading name of National Westminster Bank plc.